Monday, January 26, 2015

Sometimes Tent Stitch Is the Right Stitch

Rebecca Wood Canvas





When I recommend using the tent stitch (aka basketweave in needlepoint land) on a small canvas I sometimes get a negative response.  It's usually along the lines of "I asked for a stitch!"  

Of course basketweave is a stitch.  It's the first one I learned when I started doing needlepoint and I stuck with it for a long time, afraid to venture out into the vast, scary world of decorative stitches.  Looking back at 27 years of needlepoint I find that I still love many of the pieces I did entirely in basketweave.  On others I wish I had added some decorative stitches.  This is a lifelong learning process.

In my opinion every needlepointer should learn to do basketweave correctly, both to improve the look and durability of our stitching and as a foundation for the hundreds of other stitches available to us.   


I love the Rebecca Wood canvas shown in this post.  I struggled for a long time trying to figure out how to use decorative stitches.  No matter what I pictured in my head, the stitches I considered were either too busy for the design or overwhelmed important design elements like the bare trees, the deer or the moon's aura.  This is a delicate, elegant canvas.

In the end I chose to do the entire canvas in basketweave, except for cross stitches on the deer eyes.  I didn't even add beads, which I often do on Christmas canvases.  
 

Sometimes tent stitch is the right stitch.